Sunday, November 23, 2008

stalling at bedtime . . .



My eldest daughter has begun to master that ages old trick--the bedtime stall. She needs another drink of water, she needs the loooong book and not the shorter one. She needs her hair brushed and her blanket smooth as silk. She wants three songs and not two, and halfway through that last song decides that no, she doesn't actually want "The Wheels on the Bus." She wants "How Much is that Doggie in the Window." Her pajamas are not soft enough. She needs to change. And my patience, at the end of the day, it falters. I am tired. I want to spend time with my husband. I want to spend time with myself (but oh . . . wait a minute . . . I have another child to get to bed too . . . . ).

But I do want to maximize this potentially lovely time of day. The sweetness of tucking a little person into bed and kissing them as they lull safely off to dreamland is one of those parental moments that we all envision, probably even before we become pregnant. It is iconic. So why is it such a hassle? Any suggestions on streamlining this process would be greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment